A luscious recipe, adapted from Celebrating Sweets*, using Coffee Syrup in place of brown sugar and a few more tweaks.
Sweet Potato Mash:
- 2 large cans (40 oz ea) yams
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup half & half or milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Coffee Syrup
- 1/4 tps salt
- 4 Tbs butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish with butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix yams, butter, milk, cinnamon, Coffee Syrup and salt and mash (I used a hand-mixer) until smooth.
- Transfer mix to casserole dish and bake until heated, about 10 minutes (leave oven on, you'll be putting it back in).
- While the sweet potato mash is heating, prepare streusel. In a medium bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and pecans until thoroughly combined.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven. Sprinkle with marshmallows and streusel (distribute evenly). Bake for another 12-15 minutes, until topping is nicely browned (keep an eye on it so the marshmallows don't burn).